See also our page of Spokes factsheets and downloads on cycling with and for young people.
Cycling with or for young people – useful links
- Weans on Wheels - Local Edinburgh project encouraging families to cycle for everyday travel and for fun. Also on twitter @WeansOnWheels
- Free Range Kids – Sustrans website [ideas, resources, quizzes etc]
- Bike Club - UK-wide, with big local presence, encouraging bike use by young people for transport & fun
Company of Cyclists – Range of interesting initiatives on family cycling, including…
- Get Cycling – Wide variety of family and load-carrying bikes etc: can be tried out at roadshows, UK group holidays, etc.
- Cyclorama – Encyclopaedia of specialised bikes, including for families, load-carrying, etc.
Edinburgh/Lothian school cycling initiatives
- Stenhouse Primary bike club
- Firrhill High School - The Wheel Deal – see page 3 of Spokes 113. Also their Wheel Deal leaflet [pdf 684k] and Environment Group webpages.
- Sciennes Primary has encouraged cycling for many years. They have an active travel website and a photo of bikes at the school won 4th prize in our 2013 competition.
Useful research or articles
- Children and Cycling - preview of chapter in academic City Cycling book
- Reclaiming the Street for Kids - – Guardian article on 2 mums who did that!
Suppliers of relevant equipment
Please note that products are constantly changing and suppliers come and go. Inclusion of any particular supplier does not imply endorsement by Spokes. For online suppliers we only list a limited number of specialists.
- ———- Local suppliers ———
- LaidBack Bikes – Circe Helios tandem, Edinburgh based – contact to ask about test-runs
- Edinburgh Bicycle – kids’ bikes, tag-along, trailers, etc
- Veloecosse – Kids’ bikes, trailers and tag-alongs
- Alpine Bikes – kids’ bikes, tag-alongs, etc. Also the Weehoo i-Go: “a child pedal-trailer”
- ———- Online, outside Edinburgh/Lothians ———-
- Velorution – Christiana trikes, Taga buggy conversion bikes. Also a useful advice web page: school run by bike.
- Power-to-the-Pedal – supplier of bikes and equipment that offer a realistic and practical replacement for the family car
- Dutchbike – Bakfiets, trikes etc
- BretonBikes – Cycling holidays with extensive family equipment
- CycleSense - see Child Transportation section of their website
- Kids and Family Cycles – they have 4 children and have experimented with ‘every type of pedal powered transport’