The Spring Spokes Bulletin is out, highlighting the failure of the Scottish Government to take bike use seriously in its 2009/10 budget – despite the all-party evidence-based recommendation of the Parliament’s own Transport, Environment and Climate Change Committee. Yet big new money is going into trunk roads. So – a huge question mark over the government’s much-vaunted aspirations for ‘sustainable’ economic growth and over its intentions on early action towards meeting Climate Change Bill targets.
MAJOR ITEMS IN Spokes Bulletin 103
– Government continues to freeze cycle investment at around £20m in total in 2009/10 whilst increasing trunk road spending by over £150m. The money is there, so it’s purely a question of what are the government’s priorities
– Ministerial antics – Up is Down and The Kiss of Death
– New 10% cycling target is hot air if spending is frozen – comparisons with the Climate Change Bill
– President Obama on a bike
– Trams, Buses and Bikes – news and public meeting
– The impact of Edinburgh’s onroad bike facilities – a fascinating graph
– Transform Scotland Trust – Cycling is great for the economy
– And lots more!!
… plus politician contacts so that you can congratulate or complain, as appropriate!!