This page is for documents containing relevant census info from UK, Scotland and locally.
- Edinburgh – Travel data – car ownership and travel to work/study summary [pdf 113k] and full report [pdf 5MB] by Edinburgh Council. The figures are unique in Scotland – rising bus, cycle and walk commuting; falling car-commuting; rising car-free households – and help justify the Council’s Local Transport Strategy.
- Edinburgh Council census web page – includes tables for city-wide, tables for local areas and tables for themes (including transport).
- A very telling graph from @‘s Scotland blog (in Scotland section below)
- Edinburgh Ward comparisons commentary by @ … http://celiamac58.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/census-statistics-on-method-of-travel.html Includes this table…
- Scotland – Travel to Work data [pdf 405k] Analysis by NRS – only limited coverage of cycling
- Scotland commentary by @ http://celiamac58.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/travel-to-work-or-study-overview-of.html
England & Wales
Scotland and UK
Basic message – cycling to work stayed static between the 2001 and 2011 censuses, but this masked substantial changes in some areas – generally up in urban and down in rural – a pattern which Spokes had previously identified in the 1981->1991->2001 censuses. Note this report  of a similar pattern in Denmark http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE2063886/vi-cykler-mindre—uden-for-storbyerne/ [use the Google translate button].
Speculation – this may reflect differential changes in land-use patterns and road conditions but may additionally be related to levels of cycling investment.
- Spokes traffic count data and other Edinburgh traffic/cycling data sources