Spokes welcomes as members all individuals and organisations who support our objectives. Having as many members as possible helps us campaign more effectively – for example, we try to notify members when important cycling-related things are happening (or not happening) which you could help influence, whether in your local area or at national level – and we rely on member donations to support our activity.
To join Spokes read this page, then download and print the membership form [below], fill it in and post it to Spokes or scan and email it to spokes @ spokes.org.uk.
Or write to spokes enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope (preferably C5 size) and we will mail you a membership form and other information.
There is no fixed membership fee, and if you are hard up you are welcome to join free – especially if you occasionally do your bit by contacting your councillor or MSP about issues affecting cyclists such as yourself. However SPOKES receives no grants to meet running costs and we rely heavily on members for donations to finance our campaigns, publicity and ongoing work. Please be as generous as you can afford – whether it be 50p, £5, £50 or £500. Cheques should be crossed and payable to SPOKES, or contact us for details if you wish to do a BACS payment. We hope to set up online payment options soon.
Who we are
Spokes is the Lothian cycle campaign, so our main efforts and activities are in the council areas of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian. We also lobby the Scottish Government extensively, since our experience over the years shows that what councils do to encourage and cater for cycle use depends significantly on government funding arrangements.
People living outside Lothian (especially in Scotland) are welcome to join SPOKES, to keep in touch with developments and with what you can do. Of course, if you do live outside Lothian, your top priority should be to join (or to set up!) a campaign group in your own area. For links to other campaign groups in Scotland and throughout the UK see our campaign groups links.
Spokes info flyer
There’s a Spokes A5 info flyer [pdf 351k]. If you’re going to a relevant event, festival, etc, print out some copies to put on an info table or to hand out. Print the pdf on both sides of a blank A4 sheet, then cut it down the middle and you’ll get two A5 copies of the flyer.
Benefits of SPOKES membership
- Spokes Bulletin 3 times a year (sometimes 4) with details of new cycle schemes, events and campaigns
- Occasional email updates (to emailable members only, roughly 10-12 times a year) about current developments affecting cyclists, relevant events, etc.
- Specialized working groups
- Events, rides, youth-hostel weekends (all ages!)
- Advice and information on all aspects of cycling
- Advance notice of SPOKES publications – such as new editions of our highly-praised Edinburgh, Lothians and Glasgow bike maps
- Your mailings include lots of other information – new cycleroute leaflets; special offer handouts from bike shops, forthcoming big rides by other local organisations. Many of these are only sent to members.
- Notification of major developments affecting cyclists in your area (within Edinburgh and the Lothians)
- Safety and campaigning materials
Membership is open to all individuals and organisations who support our objectives.
- For individuals in Lothian membership is FREE but a donation is welcomed and urged – see above.
- For individuals outside Lothian we make a minimum charge of £5 (please also consider a donation).
- Organisations – if an organisation supports our objectives it is welcome to join Spokes – minimum fee £10. Please complete the ordinary membership application form (below), entering the organisation in the ‘Name’ box.
The paper membership form also has an outside page [pdf] which you may wish to see – it covers much the same information as above. It is not necessary to print or send in this outside page.
Thank you very much for your support – please keep helping by contacting your councillor(s) and MSP(s) about cycling and transport matters that concern you – find them at writetothem.com.
Annual membership renewal
See this note.