Contents of this page…
- A. The Spokes maps
- B. How to buy Spokes maps
- C. Bulk orders for Spokes maps
- D. Feedback from users
- E. Copying Spokes maps
- F. Corrections
A. THE SPOKES MAPS
Spokes publishes cycle maps (also good for walking) for..
- Edinburgh (10th edition, 2016) – £6.95. The 10th edition, published July 2016, includes all new facilities since the 2010 edition, including the Council’s network of signed ‘quiet routes’ which is currently being implemented. In response to popular request the map is on tear- and water-resistant paper. Unfortunately there were severe problems getting the new base map needed to enable an electronic version, and so that has to await the 11th edition.
- East Lothian (3rd edition, 2014) – £5.95
- Midlothian (4th edition, 2015) – £5.95. Note: see Corrections below
- West Lothian & Livingston (3rd edition, 2012) Includes detailed Livingston map on reverse – £5.95
- Glasgow (1st edition, 2007 – published jointly with Go Bike, Strathclyde Cycle Campaign) – £4.95. The publication date for a new edition is now uncertain, though we hope this will happen and will be on tear- and water-resistant paper like the 2016 Edinburgh map above.
- Glasgow Online (2014, published jointly with Go Bike, Strathclyde Cycle Campaign & Glasgow Bike Station) Geospatial cycle map for smartphones Apple and Android. Free download until the printed map is available for sale. Copy & paste links below into your phone browser. Comments to imaxwellATgn.apc.org
iOS: Step 1) Get PDFMaps… itms://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/avenza-pdf-maps/id388424049?mt=8 Step 2) Download map… avenza-mapstore://product_details/92073
Android: Step 1) Get PDFMaps… https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Avenza Step 2) Download map… http://mapstore.avenza.com/public/92073/
The Spokes Edinburgh Cycle map is the essential guide to cycling in Edinburgh – over 100,000 of these fantastic maps have been sold since the first edition in 1987!! Roads and paths are marked according to suitability for cycling, and the latest edition includes the recent new and planned routes. Smaller scale maps on the reverse help you plan journeys further afield. The Glasgow map follows a similar approach.
Our three Lothians maps are also of excellent design, with whole-area mapping at 1:30,000, distances between junctions, and a much-appreciated and easy-to-understand gradient system. The reverse sides have street plans at 1:10,000 of many of the towns (space permitting) and information about places of interest for visitors.
B. HOW TO BUY SPOKES MAPS
NOTE: If you find a shop selling an old-edition map, please inform Spokes. The current editions of each map are listed above.
1. Order [post-free] by sending a cheque payable to SPOKES to:
St Martin’s Centre
232 Dalry Road
With any order by post you can request one free copy (per order) of either My Favourite Bike Ride or My Favourite Cycling Recipe [until stocks run out]. These booklets contain top entries from our Spokes annual competitions. This offer does not apply to orders by methods 2, 3 or 4 below.
2. Many Edinburgh bike shops stock some or all the maps
3. Lothians businesses stocking Spokes maps – support your local shop!
It’s not easy to keep track, as maps are distributed in more than one way. Below are shops that we think currently stock the map for their area (and maybe more). Please…
- contact Spokes if you notice any mistakes in the lists
- publicise to friends etc that these shops sell our cycle map!
- contact us if you’d like to become a local ‘agent’ to approach book, bike or other shops in your town about selling the map
- Dunbar – Belhaven Bikes
- Haddington – Kesley’s Bookshop, Mike’s Bikes
- Longniddry – Nicholson’s Newsagent
- Musselburgh – Ace Bike Co., Nth High St
- North Berwick – Law Cycles
- Eskbank – Eskbank Trading, 2 Station Road; Short’s Self Drive, 39 Bonnyrigg Road
- Lasswade – Criterium Cycles; and Butterfly & Insect World – both at Dobbies Garden World
- Newtongrange – The Bike Repair Shed, 13 Station Road; Lowland Motorhome Hire, Yard 3B, Newbattle Road
- Roslin – Chapel Cross Guest House & Tearoom, 2 Penicuik Road
- Straiton – Halfords, Straiton Retail Park
- Livingston – Scot Cycles, Crofthead
- Pumpherston – Herbie’s Bikes
- West Calder – Pedal Power, 13 Main Street
4. Spokes Maps can be ordered online from various stores, including…
- Sustrans – international orders accepted
- Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative – international orders accepted
- Bike Trax
C. BULK ORDERS FOR SPOKES MAPS
Bulk orders by shops (or others) are available at the discounted prices below – minimum order 6 copies, which can include a mix of our different maps.
If you belong to a bike group or workplace Bicycle User Group this is a great way for your members to get a map at below shop price, as long as at least 6 people want a copy.
How to order at bulk prices
- Shops wishing an invoice – please email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other bulk orders – please post your letter with a cheque to our address in B(1) above.
Bulk order discount prices [minimum 6 maps]
- Edinburgh £4.60 [cover price £6.95] – or £4.30 if you are ordering more than 50 maps in total
- Midlothian, East Lothian or West Lothian £3.95 [cover price £5.95]
- Glasgow £3.25 [cover price £4.95]
D. MAP FEEDBACK FROM USERS
“The maps published by Spokes are among the finest cycling maps you’ll find anywhere” [Recommendation by Cycling Edinburgh website, 2016]
“Your maps are superb and I use them regularly in my work as a cycle writer” [2015: letter from Fergal MacErlean @ who writes the Bike Rides column in the Herald Magazine on Saturdays]
“We have a Spokes map up on the wall in a prominent location in our office (the entrance to the canteen). I often see colleagues looking at it, planning routes, etc. Even if they’re only looking at it for car journeys, it still gives cycling good publicity. I would recommend the same for any office.” [comment by edd1e_h on CCE forum, 2015]
“Very happy memories of following @spokeslothian suggested routes round E Lothian in early ’80s” [tweet by
@trapprain, 2015] [Can’t resist including this nice historic comment! – and of course there are many more options on our current EL map above!!]
“Caution – Lots of steps!!! Lesson for the day – Check the Spokes map FIRST!!” [http://healthyedinburgh.com/carfreequeensferry/ [tweeted by
“Hi guys! Your brilliant West Lothian map helped me out on my latest exploring adventure 🙂” [tweeted by
“Livingston today by bike/train (with @SpokesLothian map!). Walking talk with HMRC staff. Fab offroad paths.” [tweeted by @HelenRambler, 2013]
“Just started cycling to get fit, used your East Lothian map today and really enjoyed it. It’s a great map! Thanks 🙂 ” [tweeted by @LA_Anders, 2013]
“I am a great fan of your maps – especially the Edinburgh one which has been a joy to use and a joy to discover the (almost!) inter-connecting car-free pathways.” [Ben Vogelsang, cycling photographer, 2013]
“Thanks to our Spokes Maps we were rightly guided all the way … we really felt in good hands.” [Dead Dog Blog, July 2012]
“On a family ride to the Borders my brake cable broke – I checked the Spokes Midlothian map and found a shop in Penicuik (Motavation) – they couldn’t have been more helpful.” [SRD, July 2010]
E. COPYING SPOKES MAPS
Spokes maps may not be copied, in whole or part, without permission, for which there may be a charge.
If you see this done, or to seek permission, please email timATvizualz.co.uk
Corrections – general
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of Spokes maps, no map can ever be guaranteed free of errors. We would be grateful if you would let us know about any mistakes you spot, so that they can be corrected in the next edition. Please email email@example.com.