Spokes has responded to the call for evidence by the Scottish Commission on the Future Delivery of Public Services…
Our response is largely based on conclusions from our annual funding survey of cycling investment in Scotland and from our 2011-12 budget submission.
In our submission to the Commission on the Future Delivery of Public Services [pdf 192k] Spokes calls for…
- An end to mixed messages from government – if a target is set then a funded path to meeting that target must also be set.
- Greater certainty in cycling investment – announcements should be made well in advance, not in the year in which the money is to be spent.
- A continued ring-fenced level of basic cycling investment for every Scottish local authority.
- A bidding fund to enable the more advanced and enthusiastic Councils and Regional Transport Partnerships to undertake major cycling projects.
- Competitive funding opportunities for all other relevant agencies – ScotRail, British Waterways, employers, and the huge range of interested and enthusiastic local community-based organisations.