Dutch company Abellio is now running ScotRail. What does this mean for bike/rail? What else is happening locally and in Scotland for bike/rail? Our headline speaker is Des Bradley, Transport Integration Manager for Abellio ScotRail.
- Desmond Bradley, Transport Integration Manager for Abellio ScotRail in place of previously advertised John Dietz. Des is responsible for implementing the Abellio Cycling Innovation Plan for Scotland.
- Sarah Ryan, Active Travel Officer for Sestran, the South East Scotland Regional Transport Partnership
- Susan Warren, Development Officer at Transform Scotland
- Robert Drysdale, Campaign for Borders Rail and longstanding bike/rail user
then a panel discussion and audience QA chaired by…
- Sarah Boyack MSP – Spokes member, Deputy Convener of the Scottish Parliament Cross Party Cycling Group and Transport Minister 2001-4.
- Monday 15 June, 7.30-9.30pm
- Doors open 6.45 for coffee, stalls & chat. Tea/Coffee available 6.45-7.15 [to give time to clear up before meeting starts]
- Augustine United Church, 41 George IV Bridge
- Poster – click poster to download pdf [200k]
- Queries? / More info? Email mknottenbelt1
AT gmail DOT com
- Here is an interesting previous Abellio presentation [pdf 1.5MB] and the Abellio supplement from Spokes 121.
- Tell interested friends and colleagues about the meeting
- Download the poster and disseminate it [Spokes members will get a printed copy in their summer mailing]
- If you’re on twitter please RT our @SpokesLothian tweet about the meeting.
- Our Bike/Rail person is Ewan Jeffrey – he is always pleased to hear your bike/rail plaudits and problems, as he can raise them at liaison meetings [but please it is vital also that you contact the relevant body, or MSPs, councillors, etc, and tell us the outcome]. Ewan’s contact details are on our bike/rail web page.
With our great range of speakers, here are some of the questions that might get answered – or, at least, discussed! There should be plenty time in the QA session for you to ask about these, or anything else that needs further discussion…
- When can we expect the Abellio station Bike & Go bike hire to begin, and can more stations be included?
- What happens to bike capacity on trains – long distance, local leisure rides, commuter time, etc?
- What does the Dutch door to door philosophy mean for bike/rail?
- Will the new Abellio/ Network Rail ‘Alliance’ mean we see less problems such as Fortress Waverley, or the planned ‘cyclists dismount’ A8 underpass, or the shocking failure to include walking/cycling connections in new station/rail projects?
- How will the new Borders Railway cater for bike/rail?
- What more could councils do to cooperate with each other and the rail companies to facilitate bike/rail?
- How bad (or good) is bike/rail interchange in Scottish stations at present?
Our public meeting is part of the amazing Edinburgh Festival of Cycling
All Spokes members get the printed programme in their summer mailing – also available now from many bike shops.
Also in EdFoC, the fantastic annual Spokes Bike Breakfast
- Weds 17 June, 7.45-9.45 a.m.
- Edinburgh City Chambers, High Street
- Full details on poster.