Our Spring 2017 issue, out now… highlighting Edinburgh City Council’s unique-in-UK allocation of 10% of the transport budget to cycling, contrasting with the Scottish Government’s fall to 1.6% thanks to ever-rising trunk road cash … And, of course, there’s much more … read on!! …
Spokes Bulletin 127 is on its way to Spokes members, to 1200 decision-makers across Scotland* and to a further 10,000 other interested individuals through bike shops, libraries and so on throughout Edinburgh, Lothian and beyond.
*including all 129 Scottish MSPs, all 132 Edinburgh+Lothians councillors, transport consultants, health officials, etc, etc
You can also download a Bulletin 127 pdf by clicking the picture, or on our Spokes Bulletin page. Articles & pictures in B127 include [with links for more info] …
- Edinburgh Council – unique in the UK, 10% of the transport budget is allocated to cycling, as long urged by the Association of Directors of Public Health and many other expert and professional bodies. Our tweet [please RT!]
- Scottish Government – cycling and walking for all Scotland now get just 1.6% of the transport budget Our tweet [please RT!]
- May 2017 Council elections – and Spokes hustings. Our tweet [please RT!]
- Main road cycleroutes – successes, problems, brave initiative by Minister Humza Yousaf
- Edinburgh cycle projects for 17/18 – lots more info on our website – example
- Unsettling setts for cycling & walking – our letter asking for cycling consideration
- Car emissions – climate and toxic
- CAPS3 Cycling Action Plan for Scotland – our website article Our tweet [please RT!]
- Spokes traffic count hits the headlines – website report Our tweet – please RT!
- And in the printed Bulletin… A Carplus Bikeplus centre-page supplement [pdf]
Spokes members in their mailing, in addition to the Bulletin, also get the inserts below. Everyone joining Spokes in the next few weeks will be posted these inserts along with the new Bulletin [subject to *** below].
- Home Energy Scotland prize draw entry form to win*** a Fitbit Blaze or Zip
- A3 poster of Sustrans UK National Cycle Network
- A WalkCycleVote colour postcard to send to a council election candidate
***The prize draw closes 31 March. The prize draw entry form will only be sent if you live in Edinburgh or Lothians, and until copies run out. Anyone joining Spokes by around March 20 should receive the prize draw entry form in time to enter (unless they run out).
Having more members helps us – and we hope to help you in return by keeping you in touch with what’s happening and what you can do about it! You’ll get a roughly-monthly email in addition to the thrice-yearly Bulletin.
We have spares of the new Bulletin for bike leafletting at workplaces, shops etc – let us know if you could use a supply. Many Spokes members take a regular supply of each issue for their local workplace, shops or other useful destinations.