With the world climate summit in Paris in December, and huge climate marches in Edinburgh and across the globe on Nov 28/29, our autumn public meeting will consider the relationship between climate change and transport … from trunk roads to cycling … from national politics to how we commute…
- Alison Johnstone MSP [Co-Convener of the Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group on Cycling] … How parliament and government are (or are not) responding to the climate challenge – with special emphasis on transport and cycling
- Dave Gorman [Ed Uni Director of Social Responsibility and Sustainability] … How a major local institution, Edinburgh University, is responding to the climate challenge – ranging from academic research to how staff and students travel
- Tom Ballantine [Chair of Stop Climate Chaos Scotland] … The Paris Summit – how Scotland is responding – and what you can do
- followed by a one-hour audience QA/ panel discussion chaired by Kirsty Lewin [Sustrans UK trustee]
- Tuesday 17 November, 7.30-9.30pm
- Doors open 6.45 for coffee, stalls & chat. Tea/Coffee available 6.45-7.15
- Edinburgh University Appleton Tower 11 Crichton Street,
Lecture Theatre 1
- Poster – download here [pdf 113k]
- Queries? / More info? Email spokes AT spokes.org.uk
- Tell interested friends and colleagues about the meeting
- [When it is available] Download the poster and disseminate it [Spokes members will get a printed copy in their autumn mailing]
- If you’re on twitter please RT our @SpokesLothian tweet about the meeting
Cycling to Paris
Spokes member Martyn Edelsten is organising a cycle ride from Edinburgh to Paris, to lobby world leaders at the climate summit, leaving Edinburgh 28 November. For more details and Martyn’s contact details, see this flyer and/or go to website.
Climate & Cycling – inspiration
- One Bike & 1001 Stories – Devi Lockwood
- The Carbon Cycle – Kate Rawles
- Pole to Paris – Daniel Price & his biog
- Cycle to Paris – see above – You??
More Background Documents & Events
- Nov 28: Scotland’s Climate March Website Facebook A5 Flyer A3 Poster Volunteer stewards are needed [must attend a.m. briefing session] … if interested email Paul.
- Scotland’s Party Leaders promise “comprehensive plans” on climate change in their manifestos for the Holyrood 2016 elections – including “how we will build a low carbon transport system for Scotland.” The promise. BBC report.
- Keep Scotland Beautiful is preparing a briefing on climate policies to be presented to the Scottish Government before Paris. Please help by completing their survey.
- Carbon benefits of cycling investment – World Bank blog by Prof L Sibilski.
- Health & Climate Change: Scottish Parliament briefing + Lancet Commission on Health and Climate Change
- Big Scottish Government decision soon on using VED cash – trunk road expansion or climate-friendly sustainable transport?? Letter from 7 major Scottish charities to Finance Secretary John Swinney MSP.
- Papers on Climate, Transport and Cycling sent to us by Dr Mayer Hillman, having heard of our meeting. 2015: The future of transport and development in the new millennium – the inescapable implications of climate change [MS Word]. 2005: Paper at Velo City Dublin [Word]. 2001: Paper at Velo City Glasgow/Edinburgh [Word].